New Harmony Attractions
Located just behind the Red Geranium Restaurant, this peaceful pine grove was named for renowned Protestant theologian and philosopher, Paul Johannes Tillich. He was in attendance the day it was dedicated - June 2, 1963.
Born August 20, 1886 in Starzeddel, Brandenburg, Tillich died on October 22, 1965 in Chicago. His ashes were interred in Tillich Park. A stone marked with Tillich's birth and death dates indicates his burial place.
Along the paths of Tillich Park are several large granite stones engraved with quotations from Tillich's writings, carved by letterer Ralph Beyer. At the north end of the pathway is a bronze bust of Tillich by sculptor James Rosati. It was placed in Tillich Park by the Robert Lee Blaffer Trust in 1967.
Just across the street from the New Harmony Inn stands the non-denominational Roofless Church, an architectural landmark and spiritual retreat designed by Philip Johnson and built in 1960.
The area is surrounded by a twelve-foot wall, and features Ceremonial Gates by Jacques Lipchitz that open into a peaceful courtyard of gardens and sculptures.
A paved walkway leads to a fifty-foot high lobed dome covered with cedar shingles. Visitors from Japan and India tend to see the shingled canopy as a lotus, whereas those from Christian backgrounds interpret it as a rose.
Under this dome is the bronze statue of The Descent of the Holy Spirit, also by Lipchitz. At the back of the enclosure, a large balcony looks out over the Wabash River valley.
The church is open year-round to the public and is operated under the auspices of the Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis. Mrs. Jane Blaffer Owen, who commissioned the Roofless Church, believed that "only one roof, the sky, could embrace all worshipping humanity."