Red Geranium Restaurant
In the summer of 1960, Mrs. Jane Blaffer Owen employed Ms. Celia Turner to serve her fresh baked bread, hot tea and lemonade to guests arriving in New Harmony, Indiana. The location of the Barrett Gate House (located on the west side of the Red Geranium Restaurant) became a popular destination for locals and travelers.
In the spring of 1962 the operation moved to the Green Gothic (located at the entrance to the Red Geranium Restaurant) with business continuing to grow as guests wanted to refresh themselves after touring Historic New Harmony.
On July 16th, 1963, the Red Geranium Restaurant officially opened for lunch and dinner serving 135 guests on opening day. The popularity and renown reputation grew over the years leading to the opening of the mural ceiling Garden Room in 1965 (now the Grapevine Bar), and the Tillich Room in 1968.
In Loving Memory of Jane Blaffer Owen
1915 - 2010